On June 24, 1957, a group of fourteen women met at the home of Ann Claflin, to discuss the formation of a garden club in the town of Shrewsbury. Thus began the Shrewsbury Garden Club.
It was decided that the purpose of the SGC would be to foster an interest in gardening, horticulture and conservation, to carry out projects contributing toward beatification of the town, and to provide scholarships for students residing in the town of Shrewsbury who are pursuing a course of study in agriculture, horticulture, environmental science or a related field.
Today the Shrewsbury Garden Club is still dedicated to upholding those honorable purposes. We oversee many town owned areas, have begun the establishment of a town Sensory Garden for sight impaired visitors, have continued our “Adopt-a-Plot program”, supported the annual “Spirit of Shrewsbury ” celebrations sponsoring the Scarecrows on the Common display as well as participating in many other civic events.
The same spirit and vitality of our founding members is alive and well today. We are “Sixty four years and still growing” and continuing our great traditions!